Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A helping hand

After watching Habitat Mosaic, Habitats section from Photosynthesis, Inhabitants and hugging some trees, two skaters stick out in my mind. I like the way Tim O' Connor rides his toy machine, and Ed Selego rips equally as hard in a different sort of way. In case you didn't know and are too lazy to Youtube search the either, ole Tim seems to be the connoisseur of varial flips (nollie and otherwise) and some crazy alley oop grind variations (trick in, trick out, or just the grind in general). In his older days he seemed to like hopping down stuff a bit more than now, although I remember raising my eyebrows about a year ago after he bigflipped down a sizeable set in Europe in some Adidas promo that I believe Lem Villian (villian villemum I dunno) also carcass tossed down. Selego totally changed up the way he skated from Mosaic to Inhabitants, from killing every massive hubba and crazy rail to doing proper nollie cab back tails and tasty nollies over bump to bars, I like both parts equally as much, Ed can skate whatever he wants, I'll like it either way. Sad thing is in these past three parts neither "pro" has put out a whole lot of footage. Maybe that was their goal, to leave the viewer wanting more and stopping while they are ahead (a lesson Marc Johnson or maybe Ty Evans should take to heart), but to me a minute of footage to a minute half of footage just doesn't cut it when you are a skating for a paycheck. With this new Habitat offering supposedly coming out in the summer months, my help might be a little too late but it never hurts to try. So I'm thinking very conservatively here, with the average turn around time between videos being at best 3 years, I'm thinking the least amount of trickage a person can get away with and still seem like their part isn't too short would have to be about 25 clips (came up with the number after counting Richard Angelides section from Transworld's First Love). Knowing that Timmy boy has a knack for rolling his ankles I should probably give him a little bit of grace but let's just run the numbers shall we. 25 clips that's about two a month for a year. But it doesn't have to be if you have 2 years to film, then that could be as little as 1 clip a month. Is that so hard to do ? Just go out and skate whenever you want then on one Saturday or Sunday every month just get one clip. That's all , just one clip. Can't be that hard to do, neither skater is in the movie industry like Berra or Dyrdek, so there really isn't much of an excuse. 3 years one clip a month 36 clips, throwaway a third because it was filmed wrong, you hate the way you landed it whatever and you still have a solid 24, 25 clips. Hopefully this new video will come out with full parts from both and will have totally shut me up. Thing is I'm not hating on the way they skate, quite the opposite. Both skate fast, have lots of pop, a great style and an eye for the right trick at the right spot. Just hope they have more footage next time, shred on.

1 comment:

  1. pretty sure ed selego has been off habitat for quite some time now...correct me if im wrong though

    ReplyDelete