Thursday, April 1, 2010

how i see it...

I like to hate on skating as much as the next guy if not more, but there are some things that I deem off limits as far as hate goes. The first being the "that rail is too small" argument. We've all seen it, stick your fisheye up close to some little elementary school sized rail that was meant for 3 foot tall children and bam! Pros go to town on the thing. Examples, jake johnson sw flip bs tail in short ends, justin eldridge's part in yeah right! (pretty much the whole part on that one rail), wieger van weanagngngngngnngngnging in Nothing but the Truth with the heelflip fs nose, fs krook 180, the list goes on and on. Now the reason I don't believe this argument has much basis if any at all is that I can't do any of those tricks and the person hating usually cannot either. In my mind if I ever sw flip back tail even a little joker rail at the park, heck even a toys r us flatbar that wobbles I would probably be the happiest person alive. Not to mention any of those tricks in question would certainly stand up as ledge tricks in lines, so to be able to throw it down something that is 3 inches wide and slanted downward is note worthy in my mind. Also I would rather see that as filler footy than some fs tailslide on whatever crummy looking bank spot, which yes I can do and yes I can find atleast 20 people at my park alone that could also do that.

Hate item #2, so and so did this and so and so only did that. Let's use Heath Kircharts Mind Field ender gap as the item in question. He kickflips it and backside flips it. After that the flood gates blow open and every person from Zero to Powell runs a train on the thing. Hardflip, Shuv it, Tre flip, etc. Now in my mind I think that once a spot as been determined skateable it makes everyone else realize that it is possible. We all have that one friend who'll be the first to try something and after him we all decide to go for it (in most cases haha). To me it's like Heath set off the spot and without him no one else would have thought to even skate it like that. So in my mind no one has really "showed" him up, not to mention who are we to judge which trick is harder etc. And if you think anyone has one upped Kirchart I simply will reply he is still the only person to gap that thing to fakie (bs flip and bs heel).

1 comment:

  1. i hear rumor of a fs flip all in white over that street gap as well.....

    ReplyDelete